Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
How pertinent to the last month. Saskatchewan has had record fires through June and July. The Smoke was so thick that the streets here in Iowa were orange at noon. I couldn't open the windows at night because the smell of smoke was too strong. The sun disappeared here almost an hour before sunset because the smoke was so thick. Over a month ago the forecast high in Kelowna BC was over 100 Fahrenheit. Saskatchewan is having a record drought which has destroyed a major part of the provinces crops.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

love how you ignored the point of it, nothing againnst Canada getting better weather, but the point was just because it balances out doesn't help the US when big areas of farm land go away.

And sorry if I don't take a climate skeptic site seriously when it has climate fails and climate gate as topic titles.

Also on polar vortex, not sure if it applies to that one, but western Canada had something simular about 4-5 years ago not as bad, that one was caued because of climate changes had disrupted the jet stream dragging it so far south that it dragged artic temperatures and weather doiwn the coast as far as vancouver B.C. Small changes like that can change drasticly the termperatures.

Upvote 0

kit

Aug 12, 2005
Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
love how you ignored the point of it, nothing againnst Canada getting better weather, but the point was just because it balances out doesn't help the US when big areas of farm land go away.

And sorry if I don't take a climate skeptic site seriously when it has climate fails and climate gate as topic titles.

Also on polar vortex, not sure if it applies to that one, but western Canada had something simular about 4-5 years ago not as bad, that one was caued because of climate changes had disrupted the jet stream dragging it so far south that it dragged artic temperatures and weather doiwn the coast as far as vancouver B.C. Small changes like that can change drasticly the termperatures.
I wasn't countering your point. (per se) It is simply that the example of Canada is so apt in the past several weeks. Canada having warmer weather isn't actually better. (even if Californians or Floridians would think so)

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah... No offense, but if your source on climate change is WUWT, you need to stop. WUWT is the Fox News of climate science. Well, okay, that's not fair, Fox News is the Fox News of climate science. WUWT is more like the Limbaugh of climate science.

Reactions: Oafman
Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I wasn't countering your point. (per se) It is simply that the example of Canada is so apt in the past several weeks. Canada having warmer weather isn't actually better. (even if Californians or Floridians would think so)

Oh yeah, I just meant that even if Canada's weather got better and growing increaesd, that be at the cost of growing in the US is what I was refering too. It doesn't help one country if they lose their growing acerage to another country.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/07/...to-be-at-the-lowest-levels-in-modern-history/

FYI...dated 2011.
Yup:http://www.ibtimes.com/great-barrier-reef-has-shrunk-half-over-last-27-years-study-798487
[note: Your study was on 47 reef sites; my study was on 217 sites]

Not really. Sea level rise has not increased in acceleration, this is all hype and alarmist blather.
You make a water tight, if factually wrong, claim.

clip_image002.gif

Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟361,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Ps. It's silly that warmer equals better (more deanialist) logic I suppose. The nice weather has also led to half a dozen counties declaring states of agricultural emergencies. And I thought increased plant production was expected with increased CO2. Idiots

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That is just not true. Tell that to the City of Miami Beach that is having to install a whole new drainage system complete with pumps because the rising ocean has been flooding city streets.

And yet the rate is not accelerating. Sea level rise has been occurring since the end of the little ice age. Cities barely above sea level have to deal with it, ask New Orleans, the Netherlands, or Britain. They are mostly acting on dire doomsday predictions anyway.

"Shown below is the NOAA primary tide gauge data for Florida (12) for Pensacola, Key West, Miami and Mayport. The Miami sea level trend data terminates in about 1983 but the 50 year record up to that time is an unchanging linear record with a rate of increase of about 9 inches per century. The NOAA long period duration mean sea level trend records for the other Florida locations show similar rates of unchanging linear increasing sea level trends as Miami. There is simply nothing in the NOAA mean sea level trend data that supports Obama’s ridiculous remarks about Miami’s man made CO2 emissions caused increased flooding."

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/07/...nfirms-lack-of-sea-level-rise-acceleration-2/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
FYI...dated 2011.
Yup:http://www.ibtimes.com/great-barrier-reef-has-shrunk-half-over-last-27-years-study-798487
[note: Your study was on 47 reef sites; my study was on 217 sites]

Your own source says "Researchers from the Australian Institute of Marine Science and the University of Wollongong say in a paper published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that nearly half of the damage to the reef is from powerful storms, while 42 percent of the damage can be attributed to the voracious crown of thorns starfish. Ten percent of the damage is due to bleaching, which is a side effect from ocean warming, according to the paper."

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ps. It's silly that warmer equals better (more deanialist) logic I suppose. The nice weather has also led to half a dozen counties declaring states of agricultural emergencies. And I thought increased plant production was expected with increased CO2. Idiots

Plant production is better with higher CO2. Prove that these "agricultural emergencies" are from nice weather or climate change.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah... No offense, but if your source on climate change is WUWT, you need to stop. WUWT is the Fox News of climate science. Well, okay, that's not fair, Fox News is the Fox News of climate science. WUWT is more like the Limbaugh of climate science.

A statement without any meaning or authority, and typical of those who can't cope with any dissent or criticism.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟361,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Plant production is better with higher CO2. Prove that these "agricultural emergencies" are from nice weather or climate change.
1) I'm not going to be able to prove AGW to you. Not because of a lack of evidence; your ignoring of sound science means you will not be convinced. Your terrible source that you continue to stand beside even when demonstrated to be wrong, is an albatross around your neck that you have no interest in wresting from yourself. Given that;
2) why?

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1) I'm not going to be able to prove AGW to you. Not because of a lack of evidence; your ignoring of sound science means you will not be convinced. Your terrible source that you continue to stand beside even when demonstrated to be wrong, is an albatross around your neck that you have no interest in wresting from yourself. Given that;
2) why?

There is no sound science really. Why do you say my source is so terrible? What demonstration? Why do you continually malign a site that gives links to all other sites, both those that concur and those that disagree? Do your sources do that? Do they provide links to contested material? Hardly. So you never really know what's out there. I am quite certain having the most knowledge is hardly an albatross.

Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
NOAA announced yesterday that 4 of the 5 hottest months on record have come this year, making this the hottest start to a year by far. It is prophesied in the Bible. Global warming is last plague # 4.

What should one make of the record ice cap size this year at the North Pole?

Upvote 0

kit

Aug 12, 2005
Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
What should one make of the record ice cap size this year at the North Pole?
I make it that you don't know your facts. If you were to check daily (as I do) the National Snow and Ice Data Center you would see that Arctic Ice cover this summer is at near record lows.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Coldest winter in history in my neck of the woods and a very mild summer so far. How come my areas is missing out on all the good stuff. Well at least the world, if not my piece of it, is heading tin the right direction. BTW the hottest the globe has been is nowhere near this years global temperature. It was once "molten lava hot" to quote Jim Gaffigan.. The silliness of continuing to pretend the global records for temperature are in any way comprehensive is becoming ludicrous.. Everyone has become aware how slim the time frame for those records are. They are basically meaningless when taking about the term "ever".

Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Coldest winter in history in my neck of the woods and a very mild summer so far. How come my areas is missing out on all the good stuff. Well at least the world, if not my piece of it, is heading tin the right direction. BTW the hottest the globe has been is nowhere near this years global temperature. It was once "molten lava hot" to quote Jim Gaffigan.. The silliness of continuing to pretend the global records for temperature are in any way comprehensive is becoming ludicrous.. Everyone has become aware how slim the time frame for those records are. They are basically meaningless when taking about the term "ever".

Personally I do think that we are abusing the planet and its environment, but I found the note on the Antarctic sea ice (record extent at the end of 2014) intriguing, which is why I posted.

Also, in Texas, we had been experiencing one of the mildest summers on record until this month, which has returned us to a furnace-like state.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Personally I do think that we are abusing the planet and its environment, but I found the note on the Antarctic sea ice (record extent at the end of 2014) intriguing, which is why I posted.

Also, in Texas, we had been experiencing one of the mildest summers on record until this month, which has returned us to a furnace-like state.

I think the planet is above being abused by anything limited to its surface. It is basically a ball of molten material with a small cooled outer crust and has no feelings or intelligence therefore is not able to be abused or even threatened by any inhabitant of it. The environment is much less invulnerable and might be considered abused if one leaves off the personification inherent in that term. The question is what is abuse in the case of the environment and what is simple use of resources? If breathing is abusing the environment then I guess the carbon Nazis are right but IMO there is a difference between emitting noxious fumes from a smokestack or tailpipe and breathing out CO2. CO2 is a naturally occurring gas that is necessary for photosynthesis. AGW , if it actually exists, is not abuse of the environment it is simply a matter of human activity causing the surface temperature to be warmer than it was for a limited period of time prior to the present. Most people do not see the apocalyptic catastrophe in that that the zealots insist upon. Using flawed computer models as well as purposely rigged ones to paint a doomsday scenario does not bolster thier case.. If the zealots would leave off using the term "denier" for any one that is skeptical about any part of their belief system people might actually take them more seriously. Use of that term casts them in the role of zealots that are intolerant of anyone that does not buy into every bit of their hysterical "sky is falling" scenarios. Another thing that might help them gain credibility is to stop insisting that they can use correlation and anecdotal evidence as proof but no one else can use it in opposition to their arguments. They come off as unreasonable ideologues rather than thoughtful reasonable people with a case to be made.

Upvote 0