filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran
Do you mean the 1911 ELH?

For example, the Synod's first English-language hymnal, the Evangelical Lutheran Hymn-Book, was prepared in 1911 and given to the Synod as a gift by the English Synod a year later when that body of English-speaking congregations joined the Synod as the newly established English District.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
filosofer said:
Do you mean the 1911 ELH?

No, it was the 1904 Lutheran Hymnal. I had previously found information online a while back, but forgot the site. It was a Lutheran college site with a link. I recall that the Lutheran college was graced with gorgeous stained glass icons in their beautiful chapel, but I might be confused, as I was looking at a lot of Lutheran sites.

The 1904 Lutheran Hymnal has a very liberal rewriting of the liturgy and is used almost verbatim in the ICEL novus ordo as used by Catholics today. Note: This is not intended as an attack, but is historically true as about six Lutheran ministers cooperated with the Vatican in developing the Post-Vatican II new mass.

I don't think the more conservative Lutheran Churches know about the 1904 Lutheran Hymnal.

Upvote 0

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Tetzel

Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
✟10,575.00
Faith
Lutheran
Aria said:
No, it was the 1904 Lutheran Hymnal. I had previously found information online a while back, but forgot the site. It was a Lutheran college site with a link. I recall that the Lutheran college was graced with gorgeous stained glass icons in their beautiful chapel, but I might be confused, as I was looking at a lot of Lutheran sites.

The 1904 Lutheran Hymnal has a very liberal rewriting of the liturgy and is used almost verbatim in the ICEL novus ordo as used by Catholics today. Note: This is not intended as an attack, but is historically true as about six Lutheran ministers cooperated with the Vatican in developing the Post-Vatican II new mass.

I don't think the more conservative Lutheran Churches know about the 1904 Lutheran Hymnal.

That sounds very interesting

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KEPLER

Crux sola est nostra theologia
Mar 23, 2005
3rd Rock from the Sun
✟12,398.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Aria said:
Do you know of any Lutheran thrift stores in Los Angeles?

Aria,

The Best "used" theological bookstore I've ever had the ggod fortune to see is in Pasadena. The Archives Bookshop is located at the SW corner of Washington and Hill, just north of the 210 fwy. The owner will do book searches for you, as well.

Cheers,

Kepler

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.