$133,000 raised for Genesis 3D Movie in 16 days!

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's not that I don't believe creation was a miracle. I just don't think it is the same miracle you think it is.

No, what you've done is redefine miracle so that anything can be called a miracle.

I reject no testimony which I know comes from God.

Bishop Spong says the same thing. But you both do, whether you realize it or not. He is espousing the idea that all the miracles of the Bible were merely natural events just like you espouse with creation. In essence he rejects all special acts of God, in the Bible. He's like you just more consistent with science.

They are still acts of God, right?

If you wish, but they're better described as normal upholdings of God. When you say "acts of God," theologians are speaking about specials acts of God, not the normal upholdings of God.

You see, you refuse to look at creation as a special act of God. Before looking at any evidence you determine it was a scientific non-miraculous beginning. Then you proceed to force fit the Bible into that world view. At its essence, this is unbelief.

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I want to see if you understand what you are trying to argue against.....

Well apparently she just admitted that I do understand. I've been saying the same thing over and over to her, but she's finally seemed to acknowledge I do understand her basic argument that even non-miracles are acts of God (upholdings of God). All creationists know this, in fact that work much harder to define miracles correctly.

Now as for you, your fear is the Word of God. You don't trust it, so you force it into your modern naturalistic world view. You actually believe you're doing God a favor.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well apparently she just admitted that I do understand. I've been saying the same thing over and over to her, but she's finally seemed to acknowledge I do understand her basic argument that even non-miracles are acts of God (upholdings of God). All creationists know this, in fact that work much harder to define miracles correctly.
The traditional way to recognise a miracle was by looking for natural explanations first and not ascribe to the miraculous what may have been God working providentially through natural processes.

Now as for you, your fear is the Word of God. You don't trust it, so you force it into your modern naturalistic world view. You actually believe you're doing God a favor.
The problem is Creationists exaulting their opinion of what the bible must mean as though their interpretation was itself God's word. So they render themselves unteachable and uncorrectable even when contradicted by what we learn from God's own creation. No I am not doing God a favour, not more than the church was 'doing God a favour' when that accepted their old geocentric interpretations were mistaken and and found better ways to understand scriptures. It isn't 'doing God a favour' to stop bringing the bible into disrepute. Or do you think the theologians and scholars showed a lack of faith to find better ways to understand the passages that were contradicted by science?

Upvote 0

Fascinated With God

Traditional Apostolic Methodist
Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I agree with Cal, the argument is a lame dead horse. The salient issue is the supernatural, not natural processes. If you deny that there are divine interventions which are God's supernatural involvement in evolution, then you are not a real TE. That would be a deist, which is just shy of being an atheist or agnostic in my book.

The only way to make any points with Cal is to put more emphasis on the actual supernatural processes involved, like parting the Red Sea, which had a huge impact on the gene pool in that area. Having a "Chosen Race" means that God takes a direct interests in human evolution. A true TE believes that God is in control of evolution, through both natural AND supernatural processes.

Upvote 0

Fascinated With God

Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I thought the Big Bang was man's theory.
You are mistaken, there is no theory in existence as to how the Big Bang came about. The only possible explanations humans can come up with are either that it was a supernatural event, or that it just happened somehow on it's own. My money is on it being a supernatural event.

You probably aren't interested in this, but I assume you know nothing about the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation, visible in every part of the sky. It represents the transition from a charged plasma to a cooler neutral gas, as the early universe was expanding and cooling. At the time it was visible light, it is only because of enormous red-shift that it exists as microwaves now. So there was a moment long before any galaxy, when the universe suddenly became transparent to light, sending out a huge burst of trapped light, still visible even to this day.

So what is the Creationist explanation for this astronomical fact?

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The traditional way to recognise a miracle was by looking for natural explanations first and not ascribe to the miraculous what may have been God working providentially through natural processes.

That's the god of the gaps method. There are plenty of natural explanation for the Resurrection and other miracles. That's not how I determine is something came about miraculously.

Assyrian, the TE's of today, are yesterdays geocentrists. You see, back then, geocentrism was mainstream science. And so those wanting to be on the side of intellectualism and reason, opted for interpretations that fit with the science of their day. The thinking is virtually identical. Had you been around at that time, you would have been harassing Galileo along with the other aristotelian philosophers.

Your interpretations are not based on the text of Genesis. Not even close, as you all but ignore the text. For you it's about modern theories.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fascinated With God

Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
There are plenty of natural explanation for the Resurrection and other miracles.
Such as?? How could that possibly be considered a "natural" event? If the resurrection of Christ is not a miracle then what is a miracle?

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You are mistaken, there is no theory in existence as to how the Big Bang came about. The only possible explanations humans can come up with are either that it was a supernatural event, or that it just happened somehow on it's own. My money is on it being a supernatural event.

You probably aren't interested in this, but I assume you know nothing about the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation, visible in every part of the sky. It represents the transition from a charged plasma to a cooler neutral gas, as the early universe was expanding and cooling. At the time it was visible light, it is only because of enormous red-shift that it exists as microwaves now. So there was a moment long before any galaxy, when the universe suddenly became transparent to light, sending out a huge burst of trapped light, still visible even to this day.

So what is the Creationist explanation for this astronomical fact?
Red shift and CMBR are the facts , Big Bang is man's attempt to explain those facts. Man has been dead wrong about the planets (the latest has been Mercury has sulfur more than any other rocky planet when scientist predicted it wouldn't have any) which we have tested so I have little doubt man is dead wrong about the Big Bang as well which can't be tested.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's the god of the gaps method. There are plenty of natural explanation for the Resurrection and other miracles. That's not how I determine is something came about miraculously.
That is claiming Christianity has always been a God of the gaps. How is it God of the gaps when we don't exclude God from working through natural processes too? Do you admit you have departed from the way the church has determined miracles throughout church history?

Assyrian, the TE's of today, are yesterdays geocentrists. You see, back then, geocentrism was mainstream science. And so those wanting to be on the side of intellectualism and reason, opted for interpretations that fit with the science of their day. The thinking is virtually identical. Had you been around at that time, you would have been harassing Galileo along with the other aristotelian philosophers.
What? Are you claiming you would have disagree with geocentrism if you lived long before Copernicius and Galileo? Are you saying you would have rejected science because you didn't want to to side with reason even though the sun appeared to move across the sky every time you stepped outside your door on a clear day? If you based your views on a rejection of science wouldn't you have joined Cosmas Indicopleustes and Lactantius in rejecting a round earth too?

Of course there is nothing wrong with lining your views up with science. You see no problem accepting DNA, Germ theory and Atomic Theory do you? Agreeing with science is simply accepting the best information we have at the time knowing it is going to grow, develop and change. The problem is rejecting science because you think your interpretation of scripture knows better. That is what Cosmas did when he rejected a spherical earth as 'pagan philosophy' It was what Galileo's accusers in his trial did that when they rejected science because it disagreed with their interpretation of Joshua 10 and Ecclesiastes 1:5. It is what the Missouri Synod Lutherans were doing, standing firmly for geocentrism right up until the beginning of 20th century. It is rejecting science because it disagrees with your interpretation of scripture that brings Christianity into disrepute, it has done since Cosmas said the earth is flat and accepting a spherical earth was supping at the table of demons, it did it when Luther called Copernicus a fool and the Inquisition accused Galileo of heresy. It is still bringing the gospel into disrepute today when creationist reject the age of the earth and evolution.

Your interpretations are not based on the text of Genesis. Not even close, as you all but ignore the text. For you it's about modern theories.
You think the interpreting parables like the Good Shepherd and the Prodigal Son ignores the text? TE pay closer attention to the text than Creationists do, who happily ignore the order of the narrative in Genesis 2 and rearrange it to make it fit their interpretation of Genesis 1. We don't read modern theories into the text either, that is the Day Age interpretation of Old Earth Creationists.

Upvote 0

Fascinated With God

Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Red shift and CMBR are the facts , Big Bang is man's attempt to explain those facts.
So what is your explanation of the CMBR?

To you it is just something that God made for no apparent reason, so you can't answer the question. TE's do not share this kind of lack of faith in the purposefulness of God's design of the universe, so we CAN answer the question.

Man has been dead wrong about the planets (the latest has been Mercury has sulfur more than any other rocky planet when scientist predicted it wouldn't have any) which we have tested so I have little doubt man is dead wrong about the Big Bang as well which can't be tested.
Scientists can admit when they are wrong. Why do you think this is a flaw? This suggests that you have issues with admitting when you are wrong, if you think that any such admission is a sign of weakness.

Your sulfur on Mercury example is lame. So what, they had insufficient data before and when they got better data they had to correct their model. This is the routine of science.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So what is your explanation of the CMBR?

To you it is just something that God made for no apparent reason, so you can't answer the question. TE's do not share this kind of lack of faith in the purposefulness of God's design of the universe, so we CAN answer the question.

Scientists can admit when they are wrong. Why do you think this is a flaw? This suggests that you have issues with admitting when you are wrong, if you think that any such admission is a sign of weakness.

Your sulfur on Mercury example is lame. So what, they had insufficient data before and when they got better data they had to correct their model. This is the routine of science.
Sulfur on Mercury is one of many examples that goes totally against how scientist believe the solar system evolved. It's hard for scientist as well as you to admit their whole theory how the solar system /universe formed could be totally wrong. They will admit when their predictions is wrong then they will come up with a story how this contradiction evidence can fit into their theory.
Like the idea Mercury has sulfur means it had to be formed farther away from the sun then somehow later move in close to the sun. There is no evidence to support such claim but this story is necessary to hold on to their lame theory.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Well, lots of discussion.

I thought the Big Bang was man's theory.

Depends on whether you are speaking of the event or the proposed explanation of the event. Even if the theory is not correct, there is still an event which it is about. How is that event not a miracle?

I agree with Cal, the argument is a lame dead horse. The salient issue is the supernatural, not natural processes. If you deny that there are divine interventions which are God's supernatural involvement in evolution, then you are not a real TE. That would be a deist, which is just shy of being an atheist or agnostic in my book.

Right. I agree completely. And I am certainly not a deist. Nor do I deny God's possible supernatural involvement in evolution or anything else.

But there is another issue as well that I am trying to get at. I hold that creationists have erred in presenting evolution or any other aspect of science as a denial of the supernatural or of miracles. I hold that creationists have erred in presenting affirmation of the natural as a denial of the supernatural.

In committing this error they have supported the false philosophy of naturalism which is briefly the view that only natural forces operate in the universe.

I am not asking anyone to support that philosophy. But I am asking people to stop making an equation between "natural" and "only natural".

When have Christians ever held that the natural is any less a part of what God does than the miracle? Yet, in creationist circles "natural" has become almost a dirty word, and anything presented as a natural process is assumed "to take God out of the equation". This is not sound Christian teaching. This does lead to god-of-the-gaps thinking. People taken in by this teaching lose the capacity to see God presented in the natural world, in the ordinary day-to-day events of a flower blooming, a caterpillar hatching, a sunset, a stream carving a pathway down a mountain. And instead of standing in awe at God's non-miraculous work, they vilify those who help us understand the processes involved because in their book a "naturalistic" explanation is equivalent to preaching atheism.

I think it is very important to overcome this knee-jerk negative reaction to "natural" and restore the traditional Christian confidence that natural events, natural causes, natural processes are just as powerful a testimony of God as miracles are.

Sure, we should object when someone tries to say there are no miracles, no supernatural forces ever. But we should also object to presenting nature as such as hostile to belief in God and creation. For what did God create if not the natural world? What creation did Paul present as leaving the unbeliever without excuse if not the natural world and all its internal natural causes and processes? How can this world be a testimony to God's divinity and eternal power if everything labelled "natural" is looked at askance as automatically excluding God?

Science, in its exploration of the natural world should be seen as our ally, not our enemy. Nature is absolutely marvellous and amazing and the more one learns about it, the more there is to be amazed about. How can this not be a powerful testimony to the God who created the world science studies?

But if we focus all our attention on miracles, we become dependent on miracles to buttress our faith in creation, in God. If we see science as essentially godless and hostile to belief because it presents the natural causes of many things once thought to depend on a supernatural action, forgetting that God is also the author, upholder, ever-present provider and sustainer of all the creation through natural means, we lose an essential and important part of our faith.

Yes, we need to affirm miracles, but not at the expense of losing the connection of God and the natural events, causes and processes of creation.

One thing this neglect has led to is the casual acceptance in Christian as well as atheistic circles that "a natural process is one that happens without the involvement of God". So, in too many Christian minds, every natural process is seen as excluding God. Science, as our principle means of learning about nature, is seen as excluding God. (And then we wonder why so many scientists start leaning away from belief in God.--what else can one expect when nature per se is viewed as devoid of a testimony of God--when "natural" becomes a synonym for "no god here"?)

This is totally contrary to a healthy Christian belief about nature and how God is seen by means of nature as scripture constantly reminds us. Let's object when people use the word "natural" in the assumption that this excludes God. Let's start teaching our kids and reminding ourselves that "natural" and "God" go hand-in-hand and no natural explanation is inherently atheistic, but rather a testimony to the power and wisdom of the Creator who does all things in nature well. And miracles, too!

The only way to make any points with Cal is to put more emphasis on the actual supernatural processes involved, like parting the Red Sea, which had a huge impact on the gene pool in that area. Having a "Chosen Race" means that God takes a direct interests in human evolution. A true TE believes that God is in control of evolution, through both natural AND supernatural processes.

Again, I agree, but Cal comes across as one of those people who simply does not see the natural as a witness to God. If it is not supernatural, in his view, God may as well be absent. (That is probably a bit unfair, but I will leave it for Cal to respond to.)

Really? The only "natural" explanation for the Resurrection I ever heard of was that it was faked--the original version of that being the Jewish leaders story that the disciples stole the body. Some have also argued that Jesus never died on the cross, but was alive when placed in the tomb where he revived. Whichever, both of these "natural" explanations simply assert that there was no resurrection--so they are not natural explanations OF the Resurrection.

And no, what Assyrian describes is not the god of the gaps method. Because Assyrian is not describing a method that shoves God out of the description and confines God to the miraculous. It is only when one takes the view that natural explanations "leave God out" that we have God confined to the gaps, and need desperately to hold on to those gaps to justify our faith. (or conversely gleefully make the gaps as small as possible to justify our atheism.)

Traditionally, Christianity did not see natural explanations as a means of leaving God out, because it was understood that natural explanations are as much a witness to God as miracles are. So there are no gaps. God is in both the supernatural and the natural.

Ah, but the geocentrist interpretations were based on the text of scripture--which is why they quoted scripture in their defense. Geocentrism had the support of the best science (philosophy) of the time and accorded fairly well with scripture interpreted in the same way you insist Genesis 1 is to be interpreted. Can you name one person who quoted scripture in support of Galileo?

Such as?? How could that possibly be considered a "natural" event? If the resurrection of Christ is not a miracle then what is a miracle?

Right on! So-called "explanations" of the Resurrection are actually denials the Resurrection ever happened.

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
...Ah, but the geocentrist interpretations were based on the text of scripture--....

Ah, but the Aristotelian philosophers were not theologians. They were the scientist. All ancient cosmologies were geocentric based on observations.

Then, theologians wanting to be hip chose to interpret scripture in accordance with modern science.

They were you, gluadys. Their thinking was identical. You would have been harassing Galileo with the rest of them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Update: Now they're at $290,000 (in fact they flew past it). Just $10,000 to go with 10 days left on their last goal. It seems they've been bringing in over a thousand a day for that last few days. Very exciting.

Genesis 3D Movie | Indiegogo

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Ah, but the Aristotelian philosophers were not theologians.

Actually a good many of them were, notably Thomas Aquinas.

All ancient cosmologies were geocentric based on observations.

Glad to see you agree with this. So, then, the scriptural cosmology was geocentric, and theologians committed no hermeneutical error in interpreting them as such based on observations available at the time.

A literal interpretation of such passages in scripture would necessarily be a geocentric one and if a literal interpretation was important to one's theology, one would be opposed to the new theory which displaced the earth from the centre of the cosmos.

(I don't know that a literal interpretation was all that important to Galileo's opponents though; that affair had many strands and the Catholic church has never been a strong proponent of literalism.)

Then, theologians wanting to be hip chose to interpret scripture in accordance with modern science.

Well, actually, the only concession they made to Aristotle and Ptolemy was to affirm that the earth is a sphere. It was this concession that Cosmos Indicopleustas faulted them for. But that is irrelevant to geocentricity.

Cosmos was as much a geocentrist as the Aristotelians. But he saw the earth more in the terms of a discworld than a sphere. (Actually, I believe he considered the terrestrial plane to be a rectangle like the bottom of a trunk, with the heavens forming the walls and lid. I am not sure how he got that from the many scriptural passages which describe the earth as a circle.) He would have condemned the Copernicans as much as the Aristotelians, for although they disagreed with the Aristotelians on the placement of the earth vis-a-vis the sun and planets, they still held it was a sphere.

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Actually a good many of them were, notably Thomas Aquinas.....

You keep missing/ignoring my point. The scientists of Galileo's day were the geocentrists. It was not the church pushing this view, forcing the scientists to accept it. It was the scientists themselves pushing it, influencing the church. Some of these astronomers where christians, some where not, just as today.

Again, the parallel is clear. The christian geocentrists of yesterday would be the TE's of today. They have jumped in bed with the modern scientists and formed a cosmology with them, forcing it into the Bible.

You haven't really tried to refute this yet, so I'm assuming you're reluctantly granting my point.

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Update: Now they're at $290,000 (in fact they flew past it). Just $10,000 to go with 10 days left on their last goal. It seems they've been bringing in over a thousand a day for that last few days. Very exciting.

Genesis 3D Movie | Indiegogo

And now they're less the 4 thousand away from their goal with 8 days left. Pretty amazing campaign.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
You keep missing/ignoring my point. The scientists of Galileo's day were the geocentrists. It was not the church pushing this view, forcing the scientists to accept it. It was the scientists themselves pushing it, influencing the church. Some of these astronomers where christians, some where not, just as today.

It would be pretty difficult to distinguish between science and theology at the time. And the church was clearly the dominant power, with science as an independent study just in its infancy. I very much doubt the scientists of the time could influence the church unless they were also theologians, as a good many of them were. So, it would be pretty difficult to establish that anyone was pushing anyone. The clear distinction of interest just wasn't there. Scientists and theologians, scientists-cum-theologians, and theologians-cum-scientists all appeared on both sides of the Copernican controversy.

Again, the parallel is clear. The christian geocentrists of yesterday would be the TE's of today. They have jumped in bed with the modern scientists and formed a cosmology with them, forcing it into the Bible.

That is assuming that geocentrism had to be forced into the bible. There is no evidence of that at all.

It is also assuming that modern scientists & TEs are calling for a rewrite of the bible to force a modern cosmology into it.

That is not the case either. I am quite content to let the bible be silent on modern cosmology, including Copernican cosmology. I am quite content to let the bible be its geocentric self.

I understand that this is an inevitable effect of the limits of knowledge of the biblical authors and has no implication regarding the truth of inspired scripture nor of current scientific models of the cosmos.

You haven't really tried to refute this yet, so I'm assuming you're reluctantly granting my point.

You have not shown that any Christian prior to Galileo was forced to interpret scripture geocentrically in defiance of a non-geocentric theory derived from scripture.

You have not shown that scripture, interpreted either literally or figuratively, could/can be interpreted non-geocentrically, much less that it was.

Last edited:
Upvote 0