IreneAdler

more binah in her finger than in your whole body
Oct 12, 2009
✟22,392.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
"single-ness" was a recommendation from Paul (not anything binding)
there are some people posting other places who say they've been called to it - which is cool for them
you might look in some of the other areas (I've seen some recently)

Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
"single-ness" was a recommendation from Paul (not anything binding)
there are some people posting other places who say they've been called to it - which is cool for them
you might look in some of the other areas (I've seen some recently)

Well, his recommendation was scripture, so it is pretty binding, if you are a Christian. ;)

It's their choice, I suppose. I have to wonder why God would expect someone to forgo their natural desires and dreams for such a bizarre calling, but to each his own.

What other areas do you mean?

Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I am celibate- which means I plan on going my entire life without getting married for the sake of the Kingdom of God.

If I may, what does "for the sake of the Kingdom of God" mean to you? Like how is being single shown in performing this task? Just curious.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If I may, what does "for the sake of the Kingdom of God" mean to you? Like how is being single shown in performing this task? Just curious.
the idea is that having kids and prepetuating the family line is so important, that to say "I am an adopted child of God, my hope is in the world to come (the kingdom of God) and not this world"

being celibate shows a great amount of hope in God

Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
the idea is that having kids and prepetuating the family line is so important, that to say "I am an adopted child of God, my hope is in the world to come (the kingdom of God) and not this world"

being celibate shows a great amount of hope in God

I was under the assumption that it was geared towards "wives/husbands and children will take most of my attention away from spreading the Gospel". If this is the case, then I want to make sure people are actually taking up this call for that reason. Are they simply being single for the sake of being single? Or are they actively using their life to spread the Gospel of Christ?

Upvote 0

Isolation

It's not enough, it never is
Apr 14, 2011
✟8,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are there any Christian singles here who follow, endorse, agree with or embrace this chapter in the Bible? Do any single people here take this chapter to heart and try to live by it, in that how it promotes the single and celibate life over all else? I want to hear from you. :)
im too sexual to be single, i need someone!
1 cor 7 is not for me lol.

Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
im too sexual to be single, i need someone!
1 cor 7 is not for me lol.

Yeah fortunately/unfortunately (depending on which side of the coin one sits) this is the same for me. This is why waiting for marriage is sooo difficult for many people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HazelWings

There is no one like our God
Apr 17, 2011
Oregon
Visit site
✟18,056.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think it's a stretch of the imagination to say that this scripture is saying people should remain single.

This is all IMO:
One of the reasons we're here on the earth is to have joy and happiness, and one of the best sources of that joy is love. Love leads to families which is also a major source of happiness. What bigger responsibility is there than teaching a child to follow Christ? My opinion of the scripture is that it says it's good to be married, but if you're not married then that's ok too. There are ways that you can use the gifts God gave you if marriage doesn't come knocking on your door. Nowhere do I see it saying to avoid marriage. To each their own, but I have always had a really hard time understanding how people justify a life of celibacy as a way of following God... Since the time of Adam and Eve, we were made to be together.

Reactions: IreneAdler
Upvote 0

Isolation

It's not enough, it never is
Apr 14, 2011
✟8,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah fortunately/unfortunately (depending on which side of the coin one sits) this is the same for me. This is why waiting for marriage is sooo difficult for many people.
its not a choice though
you have to
its just the mystery thing that gets to me, personally

but like paul says if one burns with passion it is better for them to be with someone. So i am such a person that Paul was speaking about. I believe everyone should know whether or not they are such a person. If it really is not a problem where it consumes your thoughts then you do not need a partner

Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
I think it's a stretch of the imagination to say that this scripture is saying people should remain single.

This is all IMO:
One of the reasons we're here on the earth is to have joy and happiness, and one of the best sources of that joy is love. Love leads to families which is also a major source of happiness. What bigger responsibility is there than teaching a child to follow Christ? My opinion of the scripture is that it says it's good to be married, but if you're not married then that's ok too. There are ways that you can use the gifts God gave you if marriage doesn't come knocking on your door. Nowhere do I see it saying to avoid marriage. To each their own, but I have always had a really hard time understanding how people justify a life of celibacy as a way of following God... Since the time of Adam and Eve, we were made to be together.

I agree with your opinion, but it is NOT what scripture says there.

It's pretty clear from the text, that singlehood is the ideal.

I don't agree with that, personally, but still, that is what the text says.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I was under the assumption that it was geared towards "wives/husbands and children will take most of my attention away from spreading the Gospel". If this is the case, then I want to make sure people are actually taking up this call for that reason. Are they simply being single for the sake of being single? Or are they actively using their life to spread the Gospel of Christ?
it can not be both?
I have not gone deep into the theology of this, but I am sure it is multi layered

i do not think it is fortunate or unfortunate, we all all part of the body of Christ but we all have differant roles, some are called to stay single some are not, either way all shoud be for the glory of God

Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
i do not think it is fortunate or unfortunate, we all all part of the body of Christ but we all have differant roles, some are called to stay single some are not, either way all shoud be for the glory of God

I think it's a curse, however, to say to somebody you have to be single. Or that God is calling them to be.

It's a nice religious ideal, but that's all it is. (I'm not talking about people who feel no inclination to marry.)

Upvote 0