near San Francisco
✟17,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Who says Suicide is a Sin?

It certainly is NOT Scriptural.
Since God decided to NOT include Suicide as a Sin in the Scriptures, I assume that it is NO Sin at all.
This Sin-thing is just the opinion of a few people who (somehow) THINK they know.

I guess Daniel is one of those silly guys who thinks that.
After all, Suicide cannot actually be a Sin until it is done.
So, IF it were a Sin, it would only be an after-the-fact one.
And, once a person is Dead, he ain't Sinning any longer.

So, since a living person hasn't Sinned, I can't imagine that God would consider it a Sin.

Gee, Daniel, haven't you brought up this Suicide thing enough times yet?

Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic

Since God decided to NOT include Suicide as a Sin in the Scriptures, I assume that it is NO Sin at all.
This Sin-thing is just the opinion of a few people who (somehow) THINK they know.

So, since a living person hasn't Sinned, I can't imagine that God would consider it a Sin.

This kind of legalism is dangerous. You completely miss the general theme of the totality of the Scriptures which demonstrate God's plan and love for man, the nature of sin, and the virtue of faith and bearing one's cross as the path to eternal salvation.

Sin itself is a spiritual suicide that brings death. Jesus Christ came to save us from just that. Why would anyone ever commit suicide? Jesus says whoever does not take-up and carry his cross is not worthy of him. We have faith that we are still alive and are suffering because ultimately it is God's will for us and, because He loves us, it is for our ultimate good. He permits us to bear these sufferings and gives us the grace to do so as well. To kill one's self is therefore a grave act against faith, a repudiation of grace, and a presumption and abuse (rather than a humble faith) in God's mercy.

Upvote 0

Gary51

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2007
South Yorkshire, England
✟21,383.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private

Oh good... nothing to worry about then.

Where's my gun!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
First, I think we need to understand that the word SIN means to miss the mark of perfection.

Any SIN can be repented of except the one that takes away the opportunity to repent. IOW ~ Suicide.

Suicide is not the path to perfection and it leads away from trusting in Christ.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Solidlyhere

May 6, 2007
near San Francisco
✟17,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
QuantaCura said: "Jesus says whoever does not take-up and carry his cross is not worthy of Him."

I doubt that Jesus ever said this.

I know it says that we should carry our cross, but Jesus certainly didn't say the opposite is also True. This would mean that if I have a couple of bad days (or some depression) that I will burn in Hell.

"the general theme of the totality of the Scriptures which demonstrate God's plan and love for man, the nature of sin, and the virtue of faith and bearing one's cross as the path to eternal salvation."

So, let's say I am deeply in Love in God.
I am head-over-heels in Love with Jesus Christ.
I want to be as close to Him as I can.
The Main problem with getting close to Jesus is that the World is full of diversions: Sex, Drugs and Rock-and-Roll.
So, out of my excitement to "MEET" Jesus Christ face-to-face, I end this carnal Life, so I can begin eternity with God in Heaven.

Isn't this a GOOD thing?
So excited to be with God, that I hurry-it-along, a little bit?

MANY 1000s of Martyrs have felt this way. Most of these Martyrs have "pushed" people to kill them.
Then, while they are being tortured to death, they are smiling, and happily praying and praising God.
These Martyrs have the power over their Life, and they demand that their captive kill them.
If this is NOT suicide, then how about if I pay someone to kill me ... is THAT suicide?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Beyond this, most everyone who eventually commits suicide has been lifting his cross and facing Life.

So, where is the Scripture that says this cross-lifting has to go on forever?
Many people get to die as children. Should they go to Hell because they didn't lift their crosses long enough?
Many people die in the 20s or 30s ... are they missing out on their Eternal Life because of it?

So, let's take a person who is 75 years old.
He has faced Life and lifted his cross for 25,000 days.
He has lifted his cross longer than most Christians in the World.
I ask you, QuantaCura: Hasn't this man lifted his daily cross long enough to please Jesus?

Then, one more question: What about the millions of people who have nervous breakdowns, and live the rest of their Life in a nut-ward?
These are all people who are unable to Lift their cross.
Is Jesus going to condemn all of them to Hell ... for failing to lift their cross?

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It may be a sin but it isn't a sin that damns you to hell. The Bible only talks about one sin being unforgivable and suicide isn't it. The fact is, none of us will die sinless. Thank God Christ did the work on the cross.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Epiphoskei

Senior Veteran
Jul 7, 2007
✟25,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
QuantaCura said: "Jesus says whoever does not take-up and carry his cross is not worthy of Him."

I doubt that Jesus ever said this.

Matthew 10:28
"Anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me."

Regarding the topic, Suicide is incompatable with "persevering unto the end." So it's clear suicide is a sin, but as to whether it condemns or not, I do not believe it is possible to say with certaity either way. The bible is not explicit on the subject, and arguments can be made both ways.

Upvote 0

Pasat_14

Feb 27, 2006
South Australia
Visit site
✟7,897.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
It may be a sin but it isn't a sin that damns you to hell. The Bible only talks about one sin being unforgivable and suicide isn't it. The fact is, none of us will die sinless. Thank God Christ did the work on the cross.

Amen!:clap:

Upvote 0

dvd_holc

Senior Veteran
Apr 11, 2005
Arkansas
✟12,166.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romans 6:1 What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
5If we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his. 6For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin— 7because anyone who has died has been set free from sin.
8Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. 9For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. 10The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.
11In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. 12Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. 13Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness. 14For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.
15What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law but under grace? By no means! 16Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? 17But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you have come to obey from your heart the pattern of teaching that has now claimed your allegiance. 18You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Upvote 0

BereanTodd

Missionary Heart
Nov 26, 2006
Houston, Tx
✟11,542.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Any actually applicable verses?

As has been raised multiple times in this thread "You shall not murder" pretty much sums it up. Now is it the "unpardonable sin that damns one to hell" like Romanists long made it out to be? That is another question, to which I would answer, "No, I do not believe so." But it is very clearly a sin.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.