✟3,940.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
RenHoek said:
This is my problem. What is courteous to you is not to another. There is no concrete in this matter. You could have use the p word and not offended me.

Correct. My point is, what is cursing, and is it defined by society?

I’ve not made that argument.

All I am saying is that lewdness is subjective and hard to nail down, hence the Lord’s name in vain being a commandment.

Or should we not seem overly pious and alienate them before they can hear our testimony?

I would not use it around those it offends, out of courtesy. Who defines the code?

Look I am not trying to be argumentative, but I still have not seen any justification that it is not a cultural taboo. I feel that those being offended, are doing so in vain and need to lighten up a bit when no harm is intended, that is all.

You're not getting the point...of course what is a curse word depends on the culture you are in and the language you are speaking...that's the whole idea.

Ephesians 4:29

29Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

The idea is we don't say anything that tears down, that doesn't do and seek the good for those who listen, not us. You have this idea that if something is socially defined then it is meaningless, but the fact is that when does cursing ever build anyone up or do good for those around you? Not only should you not curse, you should not say or do anything at all that gives the appearance of evil or is not helpful and beneficial...that includes gossip and sensationalism, that includes relishing in other's misfortune or making fun of people, that includes anything that does not show love and help.

Upvote 0

RenHoek

What eeeeeez it man?!
Dec 22, 2005
MI
✟8,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The idea is we don't say anything that tears down, that doesn't do and seek the good for those who listen, not us.

And if a friend of mine is not offended, but amused at what I call him, it is not tearing him down.

but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs

If their need is to be accepted as one of the fellas, this language would be beneficial in this context, no?

29Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

Unwholesome defined by Strong’s:

1. rotten, putrefied
  2. corrupted by one and no longer fit for use, worn out
  3. of poor quality, bad, unfit for use, worthless
Again who is the definer of these terms? God only tells us not to use His name in vain.

I am not trying to be a pain, although I think I do it well, but it still comes down to intent as far as I am concerned.

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
RenHoek said:
  1. rotten, putrefied
Again who is the definer of these terms? God only tells us not to use His name in vain.

Using non-four-letter words to tear others down is just as bad, probably worse, than a little broad language.

I am not trying to be a pain, although I think I do it well, but it still comes down to intent as far as I am concerned.

I also think we need to take a reasonable stab at potential effect as well. When you say jokingly to your buddy (or, ahem, your spouse) F - u, and you have an understanding that this is all in good fun, that is one thing. If you say it to someone who is likely to be offended, or within earshot of small children (whose parents may reasonably object, although my 4-year-old apparently picked up this particular word at church :help: ), that's another thing...

Upvote 0

Jebediah

Senior Veteran
Dec 8, 2005
✟3,940.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
RenHoek said:
And if a friend of mine is not offended, but amused at what I call him, it is not tearing him down.

If their need is to be accepted as one of the fellas, this language would be beneficial in this context, no?

1. rotten, putrefied

Sure, it comes down to intent. It is not enough to intend no wrong, we must intend to do good. Your ideas about cursing in certain company somehow being helpful are rather contrived. No one (even those who curse like sailors) is going to get mad or hurt that you don't curse unless you get self-righteous about it or say they are being somehow evil by doing it themselves.

I am saying that the basic argument seems to be that since you want to do it and it is not explicitly proscribed you should able to. I have seen this argument applied to any number of things, from inappropriate contentography (it's not lusting after a woman to look at pictures, after all, and no one is getting hurt, and there is nothing in the Bible about it, etc) to violence against homosexuals (well, the OT is full of righteous warfare, and it's an abomination, etc so it's ok to persecute and hate them). Very simply, at no point are we to compromise the good. It's not about a bunch of negative rules to avoid breaking and anything not proscribed is just fine and dandy. It is a postive and dynamic ethic towards the good.

It's all about seeking the good and praising God and being a living witness of Christ in all that you say and do. I still don't see how using foul language (as defined by the society you're in...after all, that's where you are and who is watching and listening) is seeking the good, praising God, or being a living witness for Christ. People you witness to may curse, but you don't need to curse to witness to them. People you have as friends may curse, but you don't need to curse to be their friends (or if you do, there are other problems with that friendship than cursing).

Upvote 0

amx

Oct 7, 2005
The South
✟636.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
jochanaan said:
Ooooh!!! *lol* Great answer!

When people use the S-word I have been known to exclaim, "What? Here??":D
LOL I'm stealing it.
Don't you think we are really talking about EQ here? Emotional intelligence carries people farther than any other trait. If a person doesn't know what's offensive in a cultural context his/her EQ is probably pretty low and he/she may be struggling in other areas. I've seen people that couldn't catch on to these concepts and they couldn't figure out why they were being overlooked for promotions or why they had trouble getting along with this person or that one. They probably just dismissed the person they were struggling with as a *insert explictive here*. It's far better to learn how to avoid offense unless it's completely necessary. Its much more important than hanging on to useless habit. If a person has to cuss to help their friends feel like part of their crowd they might be hanging with the wrong crowd.

Upvote 0

Bunnaroo

"Hare Force" Intelligence
May 26, 2005
front of a computer
✟8,440.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Joykins said:
[/color][/font]

Actually the Mason-Dixon line is the border between Maryland and Pennsylvania, and much earlier than 1862.

Both Union States.
Quite aware of that. I'm also aware that Mr. Mason and Mr. Dixon were hired by William Penn to survey the line. However, "South of the Mason-Dixon Line" still refers to the area of the US I call home. (It's also referred to as "Below the Smith and Wesson Line", for other reasons...)

You've proved a point. I didn't have to say "War Between the States", since it was understood when I mentioned 1862.

Of course, I laughed out loud when I read about some guy giving "a spiritual, sexual, genealogical, scatalogical diatribe" after hitting his hand with a hammer. That was a whole lot funnier than the actual words!

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Bunnaroo said:
Quite aware of that. I'm also aware that Mr. Mason and Mr. Dixon were hired by William Penn to survey the line. However, "South of the Mason-Dixon Line" still refers to the area of the US I call home. (It's also referred to as "Below the Smith and Wesson Line", for other reasons...)

You've proved a point. I didn't have to say "War Between the States", since it was understood when I mentioned 1862.

I live in Maryland, so I am simultaneously below the line and not a Southerner. Go figure ;)

Upvote 0

jochanaan

Aug 24, 2005
✟16,360.00
Faith
Baptist
amx said:
LOL I'm stealing it.
I give it to you freely, amx.:D
amx said:
Don't you think we are really talking about EQ here?...
Of course. But simple observation would let a person know which words are appropriate in which situations. It's amazing how you fit in if you merely listen and use words, vocal tones and body language that matches others'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Girly3302

Jan 1, 2006
✟894.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
GoDzLiLPrInCeSs said:
well.....i think that they are classified as bad words because they are rude, mean, or ill meant...and they are very unkind.....and because we know they are wrong to say to others ( love your neighbor as urself) it would be a sin to say it.....( to him that knows to do good and does not do it to him it is sin)...personally...i am very offended by bad language..

if you disagree pm me and i will explain further...kk....

GoDzLiLPrInCeSs

I agree!

Upvote 0

RenHoek

What eeeeeez it man?!
Dec 22, 2005
MI
✟8,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
well.....i think that they are classified as bad words because they are rude, mean, or ill meant...and they are very unkind.....and because we know they are wrong to say to others ( love your neighbor as urself) it would be a sin to say it.....( to him that knows to do good and does not do it to him it is sin)...personally...i am very offended by bad language..

if you disagree pm me and i will explain further...kk....

I agree!
This is too subjective. I would not be offend, nor do I find "dirty" any words that people use. I do not use the Lord's name myself, because I am instructed not to. All other words are merely that...words. I am concerned more about intent. You can use "beautiful" language to rip someone to shreds and "dirty" language to build people up...example for the inevitable challenge: nice f'n work brother!

Mt 5:22 -

But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, 'Raca!' shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, 'You fool!' shall be in danger of hell fire.

This tells me it is the intent, not the word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pjalford

Dec 8, 2005
Jackson, Mississippi
✟357.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
tryinghard said:
James 3:5-12

"With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and we curse human beings, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be." James 3: 9 &10

IMO - if you have to resort to what is commonly considered an offensive word in a non-offensive conversation you are in need of an expanded vocabulary.

"That's ****ing Awesome." is not anymore effective than "That's Awesome!"

:amen: :amen: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I agree with you - no need to use bad language. I confess that I slip on occasion and use it, but one of my goals in 2006 is to stop that altogether.

Upvote 0

amx

Oct 7, 2005
The South
✟636.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
pjalford said:
:amen: :amen: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I agree with you - no need to use bad language. I confess that I slip on occasion and use it, but one of my goals in 2006 is to stop that altogether.
I wish you great success. I seen that it a pernicious habit but God can give you the grace to overcome.

Upvote 0

jochanaan

Aug 24, 2005
✟16,360.00
Faith
Baptist
RenHoek said:
example for the inevitable challenge: nice f'n work brother!
LOL That reminds me of the time a couple of months ago when the band I jam with played a club in Denver, opening for some hot world-music bands. After our set a young African-American man came up to me and said, "That was f*****' awesome, man!" I couldn't be offended, he was so enthusiastic in his praise!:D

Upvote 0

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
RenHoek said:
If I read my bible correctly, I am forbidden to use the name of the Lord in vain. Can anyone support with scripture not swearing?

The way I see it, it is just words. Seems to me it is more in the intent like “- you” is an angry attack and would be sin based on the anger.

I looked at lewdness, and here is the definition.
Easton's Bible Dictionary
Lewdness
(Acts 18:14), villany or wickedness, not lewdness in the modern sense of the word. The word "lewd" is from the Saxon, and means properly "ignorant," "unlearned," and hence low, vicious (Acts 17:5).

Thoughts all?

You need to read Seven Reasons for Swearing by Eric Pement. He makes a lot of good points,

Happy New Year!
DIANE
:groupray:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.