Home | Be a Christian | Devotionals | Join Us! | Forums | Rules | F.A.Q.


Go Back   Christian Forums > Congregation > Faith Groups > Spirit-Filled / Charismatic
Register BlogsPrayersJobsArcade Calendar Mark Forums Read

Spirit-Filled / Charismatic The forum for all charismatic churches and movements.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 9th February 2010, 02:44 PM
.

Gender: Male Married Faith: Non-Denominational Member For 5 Years
View Profile Pic
 
Join Date: 18th December 2003
Posts: 7,920
Blessings: 1,200,751
My Mood Fine
Reps: 136,831,488,553,016,608 (power: 136,831,488,553,034)
imperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond repute
imperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond repute
Did Peter, Paul, James and John all preach the same Gospel?

I don't think anyone would argue that they all preached Christ, but were there differences in their understandings of the Gospel that are clearly present and identifiable in their writings?

Obviously their audiences were different and the intent of each of their writings were different. However, particularly when we look at Paul's writings (but not just Paul) as contrasted with the other writings in the New Testament I am increasingly finding it more and more difficult not to conclude that there are some variations between the writers in what Jesus' death and ressurection meant for believers.

If I did not already approach the New Testament Scriptures with the viewpoint that the writers were all in complete harmony in their understanding, then I would have already concluded long ago that their beliefs obviously had some differences in terms of understanding what the message of Jesus meant for the believer.

However I have until very recently been giving the benefit of the doubt to the idea that they are all in total harmony. Maybe their audiences shaded their writings in different directions or maybe their personalities, education and different experiences resulted in the perception of a wider variance in the meanings and applications of their beliefs and revelations than what actually existed.

The bottom line for me right now is that I cannot at this moment reconcile certain concepts with each other between the writers and I believe that if I try and force them to fit like I believe many ministers and theologians have done through the years then I potentially compromise the integrity of the writings and the intent of the writers and consequentially the One (Holy Spirit) who inspired them.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter? I would appreciate you sharing especially if you have tackled this issue before and have come to a conclusion. I would very much like to hear some ideas.
Reply With Quote
Become a CF Site Supporter Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

  #2  
Old 9th February 2010, 02:48 PM
Contributor

Gender: Male Faith: Christian Country: United States Member For 5 Years
View Profile Pic
 
Join Date: 11th October 2008
Posts: 5,068
Blessings: 10,562,970
Reps: 183,543,941,471,690,208 (power: 183,543,941,471,701)
Jpark has disabled reputation
John 14:26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

Do you remember Scripture from 1 Peter, Paul's epistles, James, and 1 John?
__________________
John 8:24 unless you believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”

Luke 13:3, 5 unless you are repentant, you will... perish.

Matthew 18:3 and said, “Truly I say to you, unless you... become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 9th February 2010, 03:00 PM
ARBITER01's Avatar
Legend

49 Gender: Male Faith: Non-Denominational Party: US-Republican Country: United States Member For 5 Years Commander
View Profile Pic
 
Join Date: 12th August 2007
Posts: 13,906
Blessings: 1,513,170
Reps: 1,429,172,814,049,694,464 (power: 1,429,172,814,049,714)
ARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond repute
ARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond reputeARBITER01 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by t1wGl View Post
I don't think anyone would argue that they all preached Christ, but were there differences in their understandings of the Gospel that are clearly present and identifiable in their writings?

Obviously their audiences were different and the intent of each of their writings were different. However, particularly when we look at Paul's writings (but not just Paul) as contrasted with the other writings in the New Testament I am increasingly finding it more and more difficult not to conclude that there are some variations between the writers in what Jesus' death and ressurection meant for believers.

If I did not already approach the New Testament Scriptures with the viewpoint that the writers were all in complete harmony in their understanding, then I would have already concluded long ago that their beliefs obviously had some differences in terms of understanding what the message of Jesus meant for the believer.

However I have until very recently been giving the benefit of the doubt to the idea that they are all in total harmony. Maybe their audiences shaded their writings in different directions or maybe their personalities, education and different experiences resulted in the perception of a wider variance in the meanings and applications of their beliefs and revelations than what actually existed.

The bottom line for me right now is that I cannot at this moment reconcile certain concepts with each other between the writers and I believe that if I try and force them to fit like I believe many ministers and theologians have done through the years then I potentially compromise the integrity of the writings and the intent of the writers and consequentially the One (Holy Spirit) who inspired them.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter? I would appreciate you sharing especially if you have tackled this issue before and have come to a conclusion. I would very much like to hear some ideas.
I personally don't look at them in the flesh, you're more than welcome to if you want.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 9th February 2010, 03:01 PM
.

Gender: Male Married Faith: Non-Denominational Member For 5 Years
View Profile Pic
 
Join Date: 18th December 2003
Posts: 7,920
Blessings: 1,200,751
My Mood Fine
Reps: 136,831,488,553,016,608 (power: 136,831,488,553,034)
imperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond repute
imperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jpark43 View Post
John 14:26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

Do you remember Scripture from 1 Peter, Paul's epistles, James, and 1 John?
I would not dispute that the truth is Spirit revealed, not intellectually attained, however Scripture also says be thoroughly convinced in your own heart. Part of the process is coming to terms with the teachings and meanings of Scriptures and searching the Scriptures to know what they say.

One thing I am absolutely convinced of is that the Spirit inspired the writings in the New Testament, however that does not automatically mean they are all going to have the same exact understanding of the Gospel. In Acts it was obvious that learning the meaning of the Gospel (New Covenant) was an ongoing process so I don't see it as being unreasonable to conclude that the different writers might have varying differences in their revelations of what the Gospel meant and how it applied to believers.

Last edited by imperfectchristian; 9th February 2010 at 03:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 9th February 2010, 03:05 PM
.

Gender: Male Married Faith: Non-Denominational Member For 5 Years
View Profile Pic
 
Join Date: 18th December 2003
Posts: 7,920
Blessings: 1,200,751
My Mood Fine
Reps: 136,831,488,553,016,608 (power: 136,831,488,553,034)
imperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond repute
imperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond reputeimperfectchristian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ARBITER01 View Post
I personally don't look at them in the flesh, you're more than welcome to if you want.
I appreciate what you are saying, however I like to consider all sides, not just one.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 9th February 2010, 03:31 PM
Allen1901's Avatar
King's Knight

Gender: Male Faith: Word-of-Faith Party: US-Democrat Member For 5 Years Soldier
 
Join Date: 1st November 2008
Location: The Road to Damascus, Virginia U.S.A.
Posts: 10,391
Blessings: 19,167,555,291
My Mood Praying
Reps: 9,223,372,036,854,775,808 (power: 9,223,372,036,854,792)
Allen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond repute
Allen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond reputeAllen1901 has a reputation beyond repute
I think there were a lot of arguments about how much of the law a new Christian had to keep. These arguments ended with a Church split. Paul went one way, and Peter and James went another.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 9th February 2010, 03:33 PM
Contributor

Gender: Male Faith: Christian Country: United States Member For 5 Years
View Profile Pic
 
Join Date: 11th October 2008
Posts: 5,068
Blessings: 10,562,970
Reps: 183,543,941,471,690,208 (power: 183,543,941,471,701)
Jpark has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by t1wGl View Post
I would not dispute that the truth is Spirit revealed, not intellectually attained, however Scripture also says be thoroughly convinced in your own heart. Part of the process is coming to terms with the teachings and meanings of Scriptures and searching the Scriptures to know what they say.

One thing I am absolutely convinced of is that the Spirit inspired the writings in the New Testament, however that does not automatically mean they are all going to have the same exact understanding of the Gospel. In Acts it was obvious that learning the meaning of the Gospel (New Covenant) was an ongoing process so I don't see it as being unreasonable to conclude that the different writers might have varying differences in their revelations of what the Gospel meant and how it applied to believers.
I would say that's possible.

However, my father told me that the Apostles were 100% from God, that is excluding Judas. John Calvin, John Wesley, and Martin Luther were 80% from God in that 20% of their teachings were from their thoughts.
__________________
John 8:24 unless you believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”

Luke 13:3, 5 unless you are repentant, you will... perish.

Matthew 18:3 and said, “Truly I say to you, unless you... become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 9th February 2010, 04:07 PM
KingZzub's Avatar
Blessed to Be A Blessing

38 Gender: Male Married Faith: Word-of-Faith Party: UK-Conservative Country: England Member For 5 Years Commander
View Profile Pic
 
Join Date: 23rd December 2005
Location: Dagenham
Posts: 14,753
Blessings: 106,190,444
My Mood Innocent
Reps: 155,696,005,911,999,168 (power: 155,696,005,912,022)
KingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond repute
KingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond reputeKingZzub has a reputation beyond repute
Calvin more like 4% from God...

Seriously though, of course they saw things differently they were different. The God who designed a universe where every leaf on every tree, and every transient snowflake is completely different, created a universe where every human is different.

The remarkable thing is that the Lord could write Scripture utilising these three very different men, say something that is 100% God-breathed and still have it sound like John, Paul and Peter. He didn't turn them into human dictation machines. Even the Old Testaments prophets in their "Thus saith the Lord" prophecies still have their own voices. The Word becomes flesh... God speaks through people. When He speaks through me He sounds English, when He speaks through another He sounds foreign - in the natural - but sound familiar because He is my Father.

We are the wrapping paper of the message to humanity.
__________________
Paul speaks of the hidden man of the heart. That is the You that is in you. The visible you is not the You that puts you over. It is the unseen You who wins the fight. - E.W. Kenyon
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 9th February 2010, 04:10 PM
psalms 91's Avatar
Legend

65 Gender: Male Faith: Word-of-Faith Party: US-Democrat Country: United States Member For 5 Years Shepherd
 
Join Date: 27th December 2004
Posts: 70,371
Blessings: 20,142,259,158
My Mood Brooding
Reps: 9,223,372,036,854,775,808 (power: 9,223,372,036,854,856)
psalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond repute
psalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond reputepsalms 91 has a reputation beyond repute
I believe that God inspired and when read together they expose a little more about certain teachings of Jesus and miracles. One thing you might find helpful is to compre similiar scripture in each book. Would also strongly recommend reading Luke and Acts together like one continuous book. John laid out a message of love and concerning the Jewish bride of Christ. Chapeters 14-16 is basically our katuba or wedding contract
__________________
They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not be weary, and they shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 9th February 2010, 04:12 PM
Contributor

Gender: Male Faith: Christian Country: United States Member For 5 Years
View Profile Pic
 
Join Date: 11th October 2008
Posts: 5,068
Blessings: 10,562,970
Reps: 183,543,941,471,690,208 (power: 183,543,941,471,701)
Jpark has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by KingZzub View Post
Calvin more like 4% from God...

Seriously though, of course they saw things differently they were different. The God who designed a universe where every leaf on every tree, and every transient snowflake is completely different, created a universe where every human is different.

The remarkable thing is that the Lord could write Scripture utilising these three very different men, say something that is 100% God-breathed and still have it sound like John, Paul and Peter. He didn't turn them into human dictation machines. Even the Old Testaments prophets in their "Thus saith the Lord" prophecies still have their own voices. The Word becomes flesh... God speaks through people. When He speaks through me He sounds English, when He speaks through another He sounds foreign - in the natural - but sound familiar because He is my Father.

We are the wrapping paper of the message to humanity.
At least he got the Trinity right.

Yes, the apostles did retain their style of writing. So it is possible that they could, although to preach another gospel would mean this:

Galatians 1:8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.

__________________
John 8:24 unless you believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”

Luke 13:3, 5 unless you are repentant, you will... perish.

Matthew 18:3 and said, “Truly I say to you, unless you... become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Return to Spirit-Filled / Charismatic

Thread Tools
Display Modes


 
Become a CF Site Supporter Today and Make These Ads Go Away!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 AM.