Originally Posted by JohnR7
I have seen surveys where a lot of Christians claim to be YEC. This is difficult for me to understand. It seems to me with science making the claims they do, for the age of the earth that the logical thing for the average person to do is to believe that the "days" in the week of creaton were ages of an unknown length of time. That pretty much goes along with what science feels took place from their study of the natural record. So that from what we currently know, there does not seem to be any conflict between the natural record and what Moses tells us about creation in the first chapter of Genesis.
Of course we know that Adam and Eve were very recent, and did not come along until 6000 years ago. Again, this pretty much lines up with what science tells us, that civilized man came on the scene about 6000 to 10,000 years ago. Only of course they feel man evolved, rather than that God created man. Or some believe in theist evolution.
My question is, other than the YEC 24 hour day people. Is there anyone that has any problem with the OEC theory of creation?
The problem with OEC(old earth creationist)
The OECs believe that God created the earth, but it took a lot longer than is stated in the word of God. This is explained by science, not anything God has said or done. This poses several problems.
1) It means that the word of God is not true! How OECs explain this is: The word of God was written and rewritten by falliblle men. So there is no longer the true word of God around. It's all been lost. Who determines what is true and not true in the word of God? Fallible man?
2) They mix the findings of science(fallible man) to explain their interpation of how God created. In most instances the theory of evolution(fallible man) is used.
3) Then we have the Big Bang. The Big Bang theory(fallible man) trys to explain the creation by way of science. God spoke things into existance. Big Bang says that he did not and that it all happened in a scientific way(fallible man).
4) In saying that God used evolution to create man because he never said he created all things in complete form, is calling God an ape! God said he made "man" in his own image. And if according to evolution, man was first an ape. Then would that not also make God an ape? And since evolution is speciation, how is God supposed to evolve into what we are now? I am not going to heaven to worship an ape!
5) OECs agree with science that the earth is old because of how far the stars are away from our planet, and how long it takes for light to travel that far. I can see were someone can be confused on this. But actually it very simple. When God created, he created the light before he created the object that produced the light. In Genesis 1:3-5 we see this. 3. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
5. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
And then in Gensis 1:14-15 we see more light being created. We also see lights(more than one) in the firmament. Then the stars to produce this are added later.
14. And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
15. And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
And then in Genesis 1:16-19 we see the objects that produce light being made. And because these objects are producing light, God no longer has to produce light so he intern makes the light from these objects seperate for day and night. The sun, moon and stars are made. But again the light was already there.
16. And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
17. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
18. And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.
19. And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.
So we see that God created the "light" before he created the objects that produced them. Which means the light from these objects did not have to travel for billions of years to reach earth. The light was already there. Where did the light come from? Because God is light he was able to create light from himself. Then you might ask: How did the light produced from him travel out to the stars that he created? Because God is the alpha and omega(begining and end), everything he creates is also from the begining to end. Which means: the light That God created from himself (the begining or alpha) reached to the end(omega) of the universe instantly. Because the light from God is perfect light.... Then you might also ask how did earth cool down so quick so God could create all these other things to live? Here again the alpha and omega come in. He created which took heat(Alpha) and then cooled it(omega). When you apply what God is, alpha and omega, to all that science cannot explain. It all becomes simple. God can start(alpha) and finish(omega) something at the same time. Just like when he created man in his own image. He started and finished, and there was nothing left undone in his creation. No evolution needed here
psalm's 27:1 The LORD [is] my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?
psalm's 104:2 Who coverest [thyself] with light as [with] a garment: etc...
How many times have we heard about someone who has died and the light they saw peirced their soul? It was so bright they could not look at it. But they could feel love and warmth from it. God's Perfect light.
Also when God speaks of a day, he gives reference to the light the evening then the next day and the morning. So you are saying that one day was a lot longer way back when? And that these references were wrong. The was no morning, evening or next day?