Home | Be a Christian | Devotionals | Join Us! | Forums | Rules | F.A.Q.


Go Back   Christian Forums > Congregation > Christian Communities > The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox
Register BlogsPrayersJobsArcade Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox The forum for Eastern Orthodox churches (such as Greek, Russian, Antiochian, etc).

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22nd November 2006, 11:03 PM
Tsarina's Avatar
Most Holy Theotokos save us!

26 Gender: Female Married Faith: Eastern-Orthodox Party: CA-Conservatives Country: Canada Member For 5 Years
View Profile Pic
 
Join Date: 13th August 2005
Location: Who wants to know?
Posts: 5,293
Blessings: 175,304
Reps: 15,487 (power: 29)
Tsarina is a splendid one to behold
Tsarina is a splendid one to beholdTsarina is a splendid one to beholdTsarina is a splendid one to beholdTsarina is a splendid one to beholdTsarina is a splendid one to behold
Question Receiving Communion while on the monthly cycle?

Girls, do you take communion while you're on your period? Why or why not?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Most Holy Mother of God, pray for us sinners!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a CF Site Supporter Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

  #2  
Old 22nd November 2006, 11:14 PM
eoe's Avatar
Death to the world!

39 Gender: Male Married Faith: Eastern-Orthodox Member For 5 Years
 
Join Date: 4th October 2005
Location: Why? Why Georgia Why?
Posts: 6,056
Blessings: 116,062
My Mood Serious
Reps: 15,295,480,149 (power: 15,295,495)
eoe has disabled reputation
Don't know if my comments are wanted or not but I am going to give them anyway....

Instead of asking something like this, why not generalize it more and say "If you are bleeding should you take communion?"

The problem with receiving the gifts is the fact that you are bleeding - not because of some sexist or cleanliness issue.

So.... If you fall and scrape your leg and it is not healed over or if a man cuts himself shaving or if you get a nosebleed.... same exact concern.

You are being deified at that moment. Your whole body and self is being sanctified. If you then subsequently fall down in the parking lot and get a cut, you should carefully clean up the blood and burn it - not flush it or put it in the trash. If you are already in a state where that is likely to happen - say chronic nosebleeds in an Arizona summer - then you should not create a problem for yourself.
__________________
Ἀνοίξω τὸ στόα ου, καὶ πληρωθήσεται Πνεύατος,
καὶ λόγον ἐρεύξοαι τῇ βασιλίδι Μητρί
καὶ ὀφθήσοαι, φαιδρῶς πανηγυρίζων,
καὶ ᾄσω γηθόενος,
ταύτης τὰ θαύατα.

  #3  
Old 22nd November 2006, 11:20 PM
Newbie

Gender: Female Faith: Eastern-Orthodox Member For 5 Years
 
Join Date: 22nd November 2006
Posts: 9
Blessings: 141,456
Reps: 46 (power: 0)
fourfreaks4 is on a distinguished road
To summarize my priest:

This idea about bleeding comes from the erroneous (he called it a combination of bad theology and bad science) idea that the Blood of Christ becomes your blood. (see Jewish belief that life is contained in the blood of living things, menstrual uncleanness thereof) If we had to be exactingly concerned about "losing" any of our body after receiving Communion, hairs, skin cells, sweat, etc would be a problem. Communion, once consumed and digested, is one with us wholly, body soul mind and spirit. One cannot lose it through bodily fluids.
  #4  
Old 22nd November 2006, 11:22 PM
Tsarina's Avatar
Most Holy Theotokos save us!

26 Gender: Female Married Faith: Eastern-Orthodox Party: CA-Conservatives Country: Canada Member For 5 Years
View Profile Pic
 
Join Date: 13th August 2005
Location: Who wants to know?
Posts: 5,293
Blessings: 175,304
Reps: 15,487 (power: 29)
Tsarina is a splendid one to behold
Tsarina is a splendid one to beholdTsarina is a splendid one to beholdTsarina is a splendid one to beholdTsarina is a splendid one to beholdTsarina is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by eoe View Post
Don't know if my comments are wanted or not but I am going to give them anyway....

Instead of asking something like this, why not generalize it more and say "If you are bleeding should you take communion?"

The problem with receiving the gifts is the fact that you are bleeding - not because of some sexist or cleanliness issue.

So.... If you fall and scrape your leg and it is not healed over or if a man cuts himself shaving or if you get a nosebleed.... same exact concern.

You are being deified at that moment. Your whole body and self is being sanctified. If you then subsequently fall down in the parking lot and get a cut, you should carefully clean up the blood and burn it - not flush it or put it in the trash. If you are already in a state where that is likely to happen - say chronic nosebleeds in an Arizona summer - then you should not create a problem for yourself.
A lot of people have argued (although i can't remember their statments) that the fact isn't that you are bleeding but IS a cleanliness issue.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Most Holy Mother of God, pray for us sinners!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  #5  
Old 22nd November 2006, 11:28 PM
gtsecc's Avatar
Aspirant

45 Gender: Male Faith: Anglican Country: United States Member For 5 Years
View Profile Pic
 
Join Date: 3rd September 2004
Posts: 8,376
Blessings: 223,936
Reps: 7,876 (power: 25)
gtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to all
gtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to all
Somebody please email this to Katherine.
__________________
"If a child refuses to accept its father or mother, that child is not a liberal, that child is a brat!" - His Eminence Cardinal Francais Arinze.

  #6  
Old 22nd November 2006, 11:28 PM
Newbie

Gender: Female Faith: Eastern-Orthodox Member For 5 Years
 
Join Date: 22nd November 2006
Posts: 9
Blessings: 141,456
Reps: 46 (power: 0)
fourfreaks4 is on a distinguished road
If menstruation is unclean, then God made us unclean. I do not believe that God made women to be "unclean" for 13% of their lives or so. Even if you think "uncleanness" is a result of the Fall, I would disagree b/c our natures changed and became mortal, but not unclean. God created everything GOOD.
  #7  
Old 22nd November 2006, 11:34 PM
gtsecc's Avatar
Aspirant

45 Gender: Male Faith: Anglican Country: United States Member For 5 Years
View Profile Pic
 
Join Date: 3rd September 2004
Posts: 8,376
Blessings: 223,936
Reps: 7,876 (power: 25)
gtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to all
gtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to allgtsecc is a name known to all
Anyway, this is an interesting topic. Women used to be universally forbiden to recieve during their period, right? Now, the teaching has been clarified, and they are allowed, right?
But, not at ROCOR parishes, where they are still refused once a month, right?
__________________
"If a child refuses to accept its father or mother, that child is not a liberal, that child is a brat!" - His Eminence Cardinal Francais Arinze.

  #8  
Old 22nd November 2006, 11:35 PM
Regular Member

Gender: Male Married Faith: Eastern-Orthodox Country: United States Member For 5 Years
 
Join Date: 14th November 2006
Location: Collierville, TN
Posts: 137
Blessings: 141,490
Reps: 1,131 (power: 9)
FrAnthony is a glorious beacon of lightFrAnthony is a glorious beacon of lightFrAnthony is a glorious beacon of lightFrAnthony is a glorious beacon of lightFrAnthony is a glorious beacon of lightFrAnthony is a glorious beacon of lightFrAnthony is a glorious beacon of lightFrAnthony is a glorious beacon of lightFrAnthony is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Tsarina View Post
Girls, do you take communion while you're on your period? Why or why not?

I've heard arguements for and against this. When I first became Orthodox (via the OCA), we were taught that technically women should not receive communion when they are on their period due to a tradition (some say "custom") that revolved around cleanliness. The Old Testament is against it a women even entering a the sanctuary after giving birth for this very reason (Leviticus 12).

In the very next breath, he told us that he would never turn someone away from the blessed Sacrament for this reason. To this day, I follow his advice myself and do not turn women away if they are on their period. It's not really practical to enforce either...not exactly a question I ask before administering communion.
  #9  
Old 22nd November 2006, 11:46 PM
Tsarina's Avatar
Most Holy Theotokos save us!

26 Gender: Female Married Faith: Eastern-Orthodox Party: CA-Conservatives Country: Canada Member For 5 Years
View Profile Pic
 
Join Date: 13th August 2005
Location: Who wants to know?
Posts: 5,293
Blessings: 175,304
Reps: 15,487 (power: 29)
Tsarina is a splendid one to behold
Tsarina is a splendid one to beholdTsarina is a splendid one to beholdTsarina is a splendid one to beholdTsarina is a splendid one to beholdTsarina is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by FrAnthony View Post
I've heard arguements for and against this. When I first became Orthodox (via the OCA), we were taught that technically women should not receive communion when they are on their period due to a tradition (some say "custom") that revolved around cleanliness. The Old Testament is against it a women even entering a the sanctuary after giving birth for this very reason (Leviticus 12).

In the very next breath, he told us that he would never turn someone away from the blessed Sacrament for this reason. To this day, I follow his advice myself and do not turn women away if they are on their period. It's not really practical to enforce either...not exactly a question I ask before administering communion.
Interesting. Thank you, Father.

I think it would be a really awkward question before administering communion to the women. Oy!

I will be talking with my spiritual father about this the next time i see him. I want to know what he has to say. However, the reason why i asked this question in the first place was because i read this:

" Cannon 2 of St. Dionysios, but also Canon 7 of Timothy, orders women during their menses not to touch the holy things for up to seven days. The Old Law also commands this, but neither did it permit them to mingle with men, for because of this it happens that the seeds sown become weak and prone to die. Hence the divine Moses also ordered the father to be stoned to death, because on account of his lack of self control he did not wait for the purification of his wife. It was ordered that a women who is disrespectful and touches the divine Mysteries during the time of her impurity is not to commune for forty days."
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Most Holy Mother of God, pray for us sinners!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  #10  
Old 23rd November 2006, 12:09 AM
Regular Member

Gender: Male Married Faith: Eastern-Orthodox Country: United States Member For 5 Years
 
Join Date: 14th November 2006
Location: Collierville, TN
Posts: 137
Blessings: 141,490
Reps: 1,131 (power: 9)
FrAnthony is a glorious beacon of lightFrAnthony is a glorious beacon of lightFrAnthony is a glorious beacon of lightFrAnthony is a glorious beacon of lightFrAnthony is a glorious beacon of lightFrAnthony is a glorious beacon of lightFrAnthony is a glorious beacon of lightFrAnthony is a glorious beacon of lightFrAnthony is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Tsarina View Post
I will be talking with my spiritual father about this the next time i see him. I want to know what he has to say. However, the reason why i asked this question in the first place was because i read this:

" Cannon 2 of St. Dionysios, but also Canon 7 of Timothy, orders women during their menses not to touch the holy things for up to seven days. The Old Law also commands this, but neither did it permit them to mingle with men, for because of this it happens that the seeds sown become weak and prone to die. Hence the divine Moses also ordered the father to be stoned to death, because on account of his lack of self control he did not wait for the purification of his wife. It was ordered that a women who is disrespectful and touches the divine Mysteries during the time of her impurity is not to commune for forty days."
It sounds like a great idea to talk about it with your Spiritual Father...that's what he gets paid the big buck for (joking, of course). The Canons can be complicated, but I'm sure he'll give you great advice on what is best for you.
Closed Thread


Return to The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox

Thread Tools
Display Modes


 
Become a CF Site Supporter Today and Make These Ads Go Away!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:25 PM.